Skip to main content

Movie Review - Interstellar

Before you go on...I am not a Christopher Nolan fan. I preface this silly blog entry with this statement, because his fans are insane. They get confused thinking his name is an anagram for something surpeme. They think and over-think every scene and fail to watch things like credits and opening scenes, which he is infamous for giving almost everything away in. Interstellar is no different. First there are the books, the title, the dust, some names, the odes to every sci-fi film ever made and that fucking Dylan Thomas poem over and over again. Seriously, anyone who has seen a handful of films, read handful of books, paid attention in History class and puts their phone down for a few seconds, will not be astonished by the complexity of the film. They'll be bored to tears at it's obvious and never ending metaphors.

I won't take anything away from the acting. McConnaughey and the girl who played young Murph are very good. The rest of the cast is adequate, with a nice little surprise cameo about halfway through. But here's the real problem. There is never a feeling of urgency or understanding from the characters and if you're really being honest, you need that to care. The movie is almost three hours long and it feels like seven. There so many homages, that for a film fan, it's irritating. I'm sure I missed a number of the book references, but the obvious ones were in the first ten seconds. Some are just silly, like Anne Hathaway's character's name or the robots STAR & S(P)ACE, sorry I mean TARS and CASE or KIPP...the writer of the book it's based on is named Kip Thorne, who happens to be the guy who Stephen Hawking lost the bet to and had to buy Penthouse. See The Theory of Everything, a much better movie.

Listen, I'm not saying people won't find things they like about it. There are also some who might be shocked by every twist and turn. I don't need to make myself feel smart by bashing this, I can bash all of his films for that, but Nolan doesn't work for me, because I pay attention. Sometimes too much attention. I have never, and will never understand the reason for "Easter Eggs" in movies. Why the hell would you want some random thing written on a wall or some sign in the background giving away the plot twists? Why not just let them happen? This ruined Shutter Island for me in about 45 seconds and since then, I've been so keen on noticing these things, it destroys so many films. This is why things like The Usual Suspects and Stalker are brilliant. I'll stick to those and I have to admit, I don't think I'm rushing out or putting the next Nolan film anywhere near my Netflix queue. Oh sure I will, because I'll want to say I figured it out again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her