Skip to main content

Life Doesn't Have A Color - #AllLIvesMatter

A million metaphors to destroy both "sides" arguments, but the fundamental problem is that there are sides. One side have always been the outcasts of society and they were kept that way for years, by the government and those who work for it. There is a dark, painful history to their anger.

One day, 13 years ago, brought up day after day this week. Some who lives 3000 miles away, speaking as if they were there. I read a note from a man, 28 years old, tells how he bleeds blue, because of that day. He was 15 at the time. Don't use my tragedy for your benefit. I suffered too, but have never stooped to using it as an excuse for another man's actions. I too have had a job where my life literally hung by a thread every day. I have never dreamed of telling others of it. I don't know what it is like to wake up black or wake up and put on a uniform. I've heard countless stories about both and not once did they truly see the other side. Isn't the job of both, to learn?

I hope those who posted blue all day realize that they didn't win. They lost horribly. A few friends liking or sharing their posts didn't make up for 45,000 people marching in the streets. That mocking their slogan only lessened the power of the message. Social media, for all its horrors, is a wonderful gauge of what is important. Last Saturday's hashtags trended worldwide. Today's didn't crack the top ten, even in New York City. It's not a knock, it's simply an observation.

I stand by all my friends who put that uniform on every day, but I also stand by the 13 year old who was slammed against a car in front of my house, looking suspicious, as he called me from out the window. I stand by my friends in blue who have wrestled weapons away from others who have tried to take their lives. I stand by my friends who have had their dignity taken away, because of their parent's biological makeup. I stand by friends, who have saved people from fires, crimes and theft and never received a single accolade, especially those who have done things we'd all be shocked at if we knew it went on in our backyard. I stand by my friend who was harassed for sitting in a park, while six others sipped bottles and were ignored. I stand by all those I've read about who have died protecting us from those who harm and have no value for another's rights. I stand by all of those who simply want to be treated as an equal based on the very fact they are human, regardless of whether or not they remind someone of another. At the end of the day, the men and women who put on that uniform and the men and women who can't and should never need to hide who they are, need to come together and realize that they are the same. When we started attributing a color to different people's lives, it only segregates us and lessens us as human being. We fail! We start winning when the hashtags start saying #AllLivesMatter or there is no need for them at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her