Skip to main content

#100DaysOfHopper Day 96-97

Day 96: If most of you don't know by now, I'm soon to be giving up the title of resident of Westchester. That being said, I must at some point return home to pick up my stuff and probably attend to the legal ramifications of my leaving. That and apologize to my mailman, for having to (I assume) figure out where to put my mail.

I'm sure within that mail is another letter from my management company, who apparently has taken me to court for a third time, without warning, which under the laws in NY state, is illegal. Of course, they have a lawyer and I can not afford one, so that means they will be right and I will be wrong. I understand how the game works and money goes to money and money buys public opinion.

Before anyone blames me for letting this go on, understand that I contacted the court and they are slower than molasses and while eventually appear helpful, it took three calls to get one simply piece of information, which cost me three weeks, then to adhere to their instructions, it took another two weeks. So basically, I've had zero communication and I've added three months rent. Lovely.

Well, I'm sleepy, the sun is coming up and I'm also starving. That fish I had for dinner at 9PM, was good, but that and the two rugalach were not sufficient to hold me for eight hours. Especially since I only slept for three hours last night. This isn't my typical 100DOH, but I am a little frazzled right now and I'm not in the mood to talk about anything I deem important. Enjoy your weekend all and thanks to two of you. Sincerely. #100DaysOfHopper


Day 97: Being it's a holiday, I won't get into specifics, but it has me thinking about pettiness. A friend and I have been e-mailing back and forth and somewhat reflect on our friendship over the last (almost) 30 years. We've had long lapses, despite our close proximity, but we've remained close. There have been times in life, where we've competed for the affection of similar people, both romantically and in some ways, simply friendship. All that aside, we've remained close enough to confide in each other.

We've recently noticed that so many of those we knew have succumbed to jealousy, envy and flat out pettiness. My friend is lucky to be removed from the dark side of social media and actually sees this for himself from reading e-mails and texts from those in question and about them. The best part about this person, is his ability to describe these faults in ways I can only imagine. Sometimes it's an eloquent word and sometimes it's a four letter blockbuster. Either way, it's understood and taken with a laugh.

Think about it. In the past five years or more, I've fallen off many a guest list, for making a subtle suggestion or for a person's vanity actually having them believe that everything I say is about them. Other times, the commentary was directed at one person specifically and I've been told everything from being "retarded" to a hypocrite (I'm a lot of things, but never this) to stupid to being told to kill myself. I laugh it off as my words ringing so true that the person has no other means to defend themselves, but to sling insults.

I'm a lot of things, but I'm not a hypocrite, not stupid and definitely value my life, not in what it means to me, but what it might and does mean to others. I guess there in lies the real difference between myself and those who mock and dismiss me. I'm not here to better my life in any other way, but to see a smile on someone else's face. People will be petty and I'm not going to change that, but I will point it out when I see it, so be prepared, but yeah, I already know. I have the lists of insults written down. #100DaysOfHopper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo