Skip to main content

#100DaysOfHopper Day 94

Day 94: Rosacea (although I don't think that's what it is), torn rotator cuff, severe elbow tendinitis, carpal tunnel and arthritis due to breaking each finger at least twice, some as many as four or five times, a degenerative hip, a weak back caused by hip and knee problems (and the weight gained from them), torn anterior cruciate ligaments in both knees, severe cartilage tears in both knees, almost no mobility in one and occasional goat flare ups, gall stones, diverticulitis (once) and chronic insomnia.

Above are just the physical things I deal with on a day-to-day basis. So sorry, if I don't like or comment my sympathies for each time you have to wait in line at the DMV or someone cut the line at Starbucks. Sorry, if your flight was delayed or the person at the gym smells funny. Sorry if your kid had a sniffle and you can't "afford" to get sick, because you have a dinner party this weekend.

I'm also sorry that you didn't have time, like me, to research a topic, yet you feel free to continue posting after you've been proven wrong. I'm sorry that weather is such a big deal in your life, but me talking about racism annoys you. I'm sorry, you posted that Jesus will take care of us all, but I bothered you with my post about the millions who go hungry at night. Sorry, that your 70th beaten puppy pic was interrupted by my day 94 status blog. Part 2 will be the positive (promise) side...coming later or tomorrow. #100DaysOfHopper


 Day 94 Part 2: The Good stuff. Despite physical ailments I've acquired over the years and the fact I don't "look the part," I'm actually quite healthy. Perfect heart rate, perfect blood pressure, perfect cholesterol levels, all my last blood work proved me to be fit as a fiddle....well, internally. I almost never get sick. Not even the common cold. I've usually get really sick for two or three days in November or December and that's it. I never, ever take medicine, aside from the occasional Advil. Other than diverticulitis, I've not had more than a 24 "bug" in over three years. Not bad.

I have very few close family left. I have my brother, my father and my sister in law. They are the best people in the world. They keep me sane, they challenge my perspectives and I theirs and we have more laughs than most. I have great memories of all my grandparents and especially my mother. People say that this one was this or that, but despite personal faults, they were good people. They would give almost anyone they saw in need, the shirt off their back and did so without any expectation of reciprocation. They were the glue of their families and it's something I have failed in carrying on. I may seem like it, due to Facebook or my ability to run into people I know, but I have very few true friends. I don't think I'd have it any other way. Sure there are some I simply haven't known that long who are great people, but my inner circle is minute and in fact, made up almost entirely of people I never hang out with. It's much better that way, trust me.

I have my faculties. I'm starting to notice my eyes get tired more quickly and at times, I do question seeing things (at night), but my senses all seem to be very acute. I also, despite what a handful of people might tell you, have my intelligence, which has actually been more of a hindrance than benefit in today's society, but I'll stick with it. I have common sense, but believe me, I don't confuse that for decision making. I've made many poor decisions in my life. In retrospect, more poor than wise, but I've also learned from them. I'm quick to judge, but I'm also quick to apologize, quicker to acknowledge my mistakes and even quicker to give credit where credit is due.

I'm flat broke and romantically alone in this world right now and I wouldn't have it any other way. Sure there are times I'd love to join one or two of you in Aruba or London, but it's not to be. If I was to come into money tomorrow, I'd probably blow half of it sharing with those who are in need. I'm alone socially too and have been for two months and aside from seven or eight people, nobody has been concerned. It's Facebook's fault, but believe me, I'm OK. I appreciate the simple things in life, like a comfortable chair, a good article and some fresh picked blueberries. A cold drink, a good conversation and a hot meal. This is what life is to me. I've been without a car for three years and now I have one. I have no desire to drive all over and see the sights. I want to enjoy the tranquility and embrace the solitude. Time will come again where I'm surrounded by people, arguing, debating, hugging and kissing, but I'll long for this, so why fight it? Life is about creating happiness out of the happiness you bring others. If I bring that to one person each day, they bring it to me. #100DaysOfHopper


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her