Skip to main content

#100DaysOfHopper Day 88-89

Day 88: Being wrong is a natural thing. We all are swayed by our opinions, biases, core beliefs and for many, our prejudice. But, in the real world, when we pound our chest with complete conviction, we sometimes have to stare at the floor and admit our stance, our views, our arguments, etc were wrong.
Nobody likes being wrong. Being wrong makes us have to admit the one thing we hate most...someone knew more than us.

In school we are commended on being able to correctly answer 90% of the questions. We're never told that we only got 10% wrong, ever. But what happens to that 10%? Good students are the ones who go and learn that material after the test, not satisfied with their imperfect score. So why not in life?

Facebook gives us an alternative to living in reality. For some reason, some think the real world rules don't apply. Calling someone names, lying about them or "infriending" them has consequences, yet we rarely apologize on Facebook and even more rare is the admittance that we were wrong. We ignore it, delete it or as some do, we stop arguing with those more well informed than us and spread our falsehoods elsewhere.

Why is this acceptable? Why is it OK for someone to call someone a name, they'd never dream of in person? To break a trust publicly? To throw the most heinous of all insults at someone, without any hesitation? But even worse, to not have the courage to stand up tall and admit the other person was right?

I have some good friends on here and some are truly good people, but the majority are so concerned with justifying their misinformation, that instead of admitting ignorance, confusion or simply misreading something, they stick to their guns, refuse to retract and go on and on with their rhetoric.

Isn't this the same thing most claim is ruining our country. The fact we continue to make the same mistakes over and over? So why is it OK for you or I? We need to start showing accountability for what we post, especially you parents out there. For if we don't pass down down ethics, morals, accountability and acceptanceof our own faults, how can we ever accept the faults of others? #100DaysOfHopper


 Day 89: 8PM and almost no post of the day. Somewhere Cooney and Smyth are toasting my demise.  Who knows, maybe even the people who really wish me dead. I'll keep this short, as today was used to catch up on sleep. Being that in the last 10 days, I have a grand total of 6 hours of sleep while it is actually dark outside. For all you "I have insomnia boohooers," can anyone claim anything even remotely close to this? Sure, I've caught up with naps, but my schedule has basically been sleep 7-10am and 5-7PM. A few times I've added a half hour to and hour, but basically working on five or less per day over the last seven and a half weeks.

Last night's sleeplessness was aided by a 4:30AM chat with an old friend. I have three people in my life who I can go months without speaking to and then it's businesses as usual. This person is not only one of them, but one of the people I value most, for if nothing else, his ability to give outside perspective and find a positive in what I find only negative. I think if we lived close by or spent days upon days with each other, we'd lose this. I believe that his distance is what adds to his perspective and his being completely unaware of the personalities of whom I speak is essential in his insights.

Tomorrow, actually Monday, will start the final ten commentaries and while I know some people have made fun, grown tired or mocked it, I think the results of some of it and what I've seen in people's posts and actions are pretty interesting. I also want to thank those who have privately commented. Especially now, it won't be forgotten. #100DaysOfHopper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her