Skip to main content

#100DaysOfHopper Day 62-63

Day 62: A Sunday, nobody will read this, so I can really get saucy on here. I could talk about my first sexual encounter or maybe that time I robbed a bank, got chased by cops and ended up dying while surfing the big one.

I think I'll talk about simple things. Like appreciating what you have while you have it. I don't think I did this much of my life, but now with Facebook, it seems so much more important. Sometimes while I'm making a sandwich, I truly stop and think about how for so many, that moment would be the highlight of their week. I sit and sip coffee on a cool morning and despite all my physical woes, I can stand up and hobble to the pot for a second cup, while others rely on so many others.

I don't want anyone to think this is meant to rain on anyone's parade, but when I see pictures of engagement rings, new cars, maybe even a new home, I wonder why it's posted. Sure, you've worked hard or you've found love, but shouldn't that be about you and the person you're sharing with? Why does the world need to see a tiny ring to prove that someone loves you. I know that I've never cared for a second whether or not anyone believed the sincerity of my feelings, other than the object of my affection. Why do I need a tangible object to prove this? Is that love?

I once had a car given to me as a gift. I put gas in it, turned the ignition and it took my from point A to point B. I spent $1800, including insurance on it over the course of two years. It has hear and A/C, a radio, I drove friends places when they needed a ride, I went to work and back and on occasion I went on dates and maybe even fooled around once or twice in it. So explain how your $70,000 car does more and why people need to see pictures of it?

I know I've rambled on about materialism, about needing to be accepted, admired and even adored, but is it really important at the end of the day? Is your life so empty that 40 pictures, depicting you and your beau or your children parading around some beach, being waited on hand and foot are necessary? Don't misunderstand, I like being treated well and even pampered on occasion, but I'm not taking a picture of the person doing so, asking them to mock enthusiasm so the world can see how much joy I bring. No, I thank them, tip them generously, often more than I can afford and hope they enjoy their time alone because of how wonderful they made me feel. It's between me and them, not the world.

We have all lost touch with what is important in life. Sure we can post memes or quotes, little blurbs next to pictures that say "best dad ever" or "happiness," but what does that mean? I don't know that love, happiness or family truly have clear definitions. I consider those people I think of when I'm joyful and wish they were there to share it as the ones I love. I consider those who are there for me when nobody else is as people who love me. I find those moments that make me forget my physical pain or the mental stress of my financial situation to be happiness. I find the ability to make someone smile, laugh or hold their chin up through adversity to be what makes me feel what others call happiness. I find those people, blood related or not (and mostly not), who I can't live without, to be my family. I find that person who has taught me a lesson I carry every day, to be a brother or sister, aunt or uncle. As a child, I had more aunts and uncles that weren't related than I did who were. They are the ones who helped raise me into who I am today. They loved me and I loved them, they brought me happiness and I did so in return and we both recognized that there was no science in our definition of family.

I try and stay true to my thoughts, so when you see a photo of some delicious meal, some beautiful sunset or a scenic view, I do not want envy, but I want the few who know the struggles I face, to know I'm OK and these pictures are of where and what I wish they were sharing with me at that moment. I just hope that one day I will. #100DaysOfHopper

Day 63: What I have learned from reading Facebook the past week. Sorry if you read this in it's entirety, I went off the rails a bit and called out a few people's self serving and excuse ridden, hypocritical bullshit regarding charity. Should have been done separately as to not take away from the petty annoyances stated before it.

1. My friends and their friends who are TEACHERS are as equally baffled as when to use your & you're as well as their, there and they're.

2. I never knew how many doctor friends I have and who participate in "bring your kid to work day." Six different friends lost their patients with their own kids this weekend.

3. Women who are married, living with someone or in a serious relationship who are left with no plans, wine and Facebook on a weekend night, immediately become the loneliest, most unappreciated, unloved philosophers in the history of the world. Guys don't post, so I'm assuming Call of Duty or masturbation.

4. We're all not photogenic (I am not for sure), so there's nothing wrong with taking a second photo before posting.

5. The same guy friends of mine who rant and rave about steroid users being cheaters and having no place in the game's history, all posted their praise for Joe Torre and Tony Larussa getting into the Hall of Fame as managers.  No two managers combined have managed more suspected or admitted PHD users.

6. There are some people who, even during the best of times, will sneak away to complain on Facebook about their horrible lives.

7. If most of my friends said God and Jesus as much in person as they do on Facebook, I'd probably let them meet them.

8. People that ask questions they know the answer to or could easily google are a) looking for attention b) trying to get other posts noticed c) really that dumb

9. Either the price of going to Yankees games went way down or I have some of the richest friends in the world.

10. Girls who work out....you look beautiful (so do you girls who don't), but when your jawline starts looking like Russian dude in Rocky III, it's time to stop.

11. Vegans....OK, this is going to be an entire future post and it's not going to be me babbling my opinions, it's going to be facts.

12. Unless you've been in Iraq or Afghanistan, nobody needs to check-in at home.

13. People that aren't normally "personal" posters who post something simple from the heart. When you do it and it's happiness, it's why I don't leave this stupid site.

14. If you post your max lift with a video, that shit is cool beans. If you post some random video you found on the internet of someone else working out, it's kinda weird.

15. If you're "feeling" anything and you simply post that on Facebook, please realize, I'm probably feeling a phone, a frosty beverage or a pillow...occasionally, my junk. Just so we both shared.

16. I know as well, if not more than most, that death is a fact of life. We never move on, but we move forward. I worry about some of you who hold on so tight. It's not healthy for you and especially not for those who need you.

17. Why is it when guys post drinks of their cocktails sitting on a bar, the comments read "drunk, faggot, go home," but when women do it, they read "you go girl, that's what I'm talking about, party!"

18. If you share 800 things you thing people might be interested and there isn't a single like, comment or share, it may be time to reexamine your friends or who you are trying to appeal to.

19. If there is a picture taken of three people and one of the people in the picture happens to stand behind the other two, this is not a photo bomb.  Now you know.

20. It's not insomnia if you can't fall back to sleep after four or five hours of sleep, one night a week. That's a bad night's sleep. As someone who suffers from it, it drives me crazy when people who get six hours instead of eight post that they have insomnia.

21. And yes this will sting a few. Don't call anyone out for anything you're not willing to do. If someone wants to question the merits of dumping a bucket of water on their head, instead of donating as little as $10, they have the right and they are right. The challenge, which didn't start in Pelham or Yonkers, but on the PGA tour, is a brilliant idea, but it's built on the pyramid scheme of 1 person getting three, then them getting three and so on.  The concept is, to get at least five levels. If there is no crossover, that tiny $10 donation adds up to over $2500. As per one news report, there were over 1000 videos for one of the causes and only $4000 was raised.  Sure money might be coming in as they did it, but it should be known that is pretty paltry. 

Ok, so you're the righteous fellow who is bringing attention to the cause, but are openly admitting you haven't and will not be donating, because your charities are more important. First off, about bringing attention. ALS has been around for over 150 years and gained great notoriety because of Lou Gehrig over 80 years ago. The NY chapter of the charity is a four star rated charity with over $3 million dollars a year in donations and fundraising. So it's not a secret if you even remotely pay attention to the world. As for throwing in comments about your own charities while "supporting" another, that's just tacky. Especially when it's preaching about a cat or a dog over a human life.

I used to donate tons to the American Cancer Society, until I found out that less than 60 cents of every dollar is spent on the helping. So excuse me if I don't want to donate directly to one of my 20 friends who are always posting pictures of their charity's organizational nights at some fancy restaurant. I'll check charity navigator and when I see yours posted as a legitimate and open-booked charity, highly rated charity, I'll dump a bucket of ice water on Christmas morning on my head and donate $100. For now, I donate to the best food bank in New York, City Harvest and the only cancer research fund that donates 100% of it's donations to charity, Jimmy V Fund. As not to be a hypocrite, I too made a donation to the http://www.als-ny.org/  And not to sound like a complete jerk, but I've watched 71 videos dedicated to one family and 43 to another. Not one link to a charity on any of them (If I missed it or couldn't hear it, I sincerely apologize). #100DaysOfHopper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her