Skip to main content

#100DaysOfHopper Day 15 -19 (sort of) Facebook deletes a lot of stuff

Day 16: Remember when you were a teenager and your parents did that one thing that sent chills down your spine? You know that single moment of horror, where you wished you'd never been born, because you thought everyone was going to tease you. That moment when they would pull out the album and show embarrassing photos of you naked in the sink, walking in high heels (boys), picking your nose, etc etc. Remember how much that sucked?

Yeah, so about this posting your child's entire life on Facebook. While I admit it too, I love seeing your children grow up, the repercussions of having your life an open book is potentially traumatizing. Not a day goes by where a child star isn't pictured on social media, sulking somewhere, appearing to have hit that rock bottom we hear about so often. When confronted later on in life, almost all point to the lack of personal space and privacy. These are children who made lots of money and are arguably set for life.

So how will this affect our generation's Facebook stars? How is the child coping with adolescence going to cope knowing that everyone who knows them, saw them crying over nothing on vine or playing in the tub. How about the kids who are struggling with esteem issues or sexual identification? Can you imagine internally seeing yourself as one of the boys, but constantly having to see yourself in that silly dress with the pigtails? Or that little league picture your parents titled "our little slugger," forgetting you didn't have a hit in two years and the mere mention of baseball stirs up horrible memories.

But what if it's deeper? What if the constant photos and mentions of your happiness isn't reality. What if your child sees you and your spouse fight every day? What if they are the target of abuse and you use social media to mask it, because you are ashamed? What if you think you're honest and post "Joe's not a happy camper," while he's truly at the brink and your advertising his sorrow isn't a cure?

Family photos, videos and such have been around for years and I'm not saying most kids will be negatively affected, but it might be wise to look back before posting. I think about my adolescence and how due to skipping a grade, I had huge physical insecurities, which led to me hating, even today, being photographed. I think about how at 43, I despise photographs due to my rosacea, but I'm expected in today's selfie world, to accept it.

I spend so much time worrying about how people view me, because of something I can't control. I think of that child, who didn't feel comfortable or happy that one day, but because of that one Facebook picture, has to relive that traumatic day over and over, while adults who don't understand, laugh and laugh about it.

Think about that one thing that haunts you and maybe something as simple as the shirt you were wearing, stirs up those memories. Now imagine it's public property. Maybe it's still a secret, but maybe your insecurities don't allow you that logic or ability to accept it. Now imagine others enjoying it. I know from my experiences working with kids, not all can handle that. Think first before posting every second of your child's life. Without being over dramatic, it might save it. #100DaysOfHopper


 Day 19: I think the next time I hear someone talk about how much they love their mother, I'm going to follow them around for a week and watch how they treat other women. Maybe I've turned into a full blown feminist, but I can't recall one day where I haven't seen a handful of men disrespecting women. What troubles me even greater is the acceptance of this behavior by both the other men present and of the subject of this behavior themselves.

Not every woman thinks you are "the one," just because you have a penis. Trust me, when you meet an empowered woman, you'll soon realize, that might be the only thing she needs you for and that can be quite a wake-up call. Women also don't need your hand on their hip or below to have a conversation with you. While it might be cute if you're in a relationship, it projects poorly on her to others, even if it is consensual. Would you want someone's hand on your mother's ass, even dad's, out in public? I doubt it. So why is it ok for you to do?

I could go on and on, but here's a simple rule. If you wouldn't speak in the way you speak to women to your mother or sister, stop. If you wouldn't appreciate your mother or sister being groped by their beau in public, don't do it. If you'd be willing to kill someone for raising a hand to them, don't do it to your love. If you would be devastated if your girl cheated on you, don't feel it's a different set of rules for you.

You don't need to love someone to show them respect. I might not even know your mother or sister, but I know that if I met them, I'd treat them like I'd treat my own and how I'd expect anyone else to. #100DaysOfHopper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her